Saturday, April 25, 2009

Remarkables in New Zealand

Today's post is about the Remarkables in New Zealand. No, I'm not just talking about Scotland's representatives (above, photo courtesy of Anne Malcolm) at the World Senior Curling Championships which run April 25 - May 2 in Dunedin, remarkable as the members of our teams are! It is just remarkable too, that the World Curling Federation decided to award the hosting of this event to this remarkable country. I have visited New Zealand, and spent a wonderful week there on my travels round the world eleven years ago. Not long enough. I would love to go back.

Anyway, Keith Prentice, Lockhart Steele, Robin Aitken and Tommy Fleming with alternate Archie Craig have their opening game against Canada on Monday. Marion Craig, Rhona Fleming, Catherine Raeburn and Anne Malcolm with alternate Helen Drummond open their account against Japan. The full draw is here.

Everything you want to know about Dundedin is here. I knew of its famous railway station. But the women's team has organised a visit to a very special attraction, here, but only if they win!

These are the Remarkables, one of the South Island's magnificent mountain areas, accessible from Queenstown, the 'Adventure Capital of the World'.

Now, why am I talking about them? It was a great thrill for me, although rather embarrassing, to read my own citation yesterday for the Royal Club's lifetime achievement award (see here). It's not my first award. Not many know that I also have a mountain named after me. Bob's Peak has the Skyline Gondola, which runs up to the summit (446m), from which there are spectacular views. Immediately below is Queenstown, beyond is Lake Wakatipu, and, forming a striking backdrop, are the peaks of the Remarkables.

The seniors men's coach/psychologist/nutritionist/fixer Archie Craig took Keith and the team to a 'holding camp' in Queenstown last week to prepare them for the championships ahead.

He has sent this video (here, or embedded below) of the team in training at Queenstown with their minder Rebecca. Remarkable!

No comments:

Post a Comment