Monday, May 25, 2009

One degree of separation

It's a small world. And a very beautiful one, some days. Yesterday was a cracker. I had been watching the weather forecast, and Sunday all the indications were for a fine day. So I set off early to walk up the Dryfe Water to Dryfehead, taking some photos for the Geograph project as I went along. I've mentioned this before (here), and particularly how it provides a motivation to get out into places that I might not otherwise go.

I'm talking about the area north of Boreland, at one time sheep country, now covered with a mixture of private and Forestry Commission plantations. Easy enough walking for me though, mostly on forestry roads, and there's always interesting things to see.

Like the perfect blue sky (above) when I stopped to have my lunch! Not a cloud to be seen.

This is where I was headed, Dryfehead. The former shepherd's cottage is now derelict and the south gable is about to collapse. Seems a shame that this home for many families for hundreds of years will soon be no more than a ruin. The name crops up often in records unearthed by those tracing their family history.

On the Dryfe Water, a little ways south of Dryfehead. A beautiful spot for lunch.

North of Dryfehead there is still a large area of open moor, with sheep and their lambs much in evidence. That's a wee hill called Cowan Fell in the distance. I sought it out recently from the northern approach, see here. I wonder who that 'Cowan' was?

Anyway, it was around here that I met a cyclist, also enjoying the beautiful day yesterday. I had seen him earlier and I had wondered if he might be geographing too. Indeed he was! What a coincidence was that. There are 8,687 people who contribute photos to the project, and for two of us to meet up, in the same out of the way place on the same day, shows what a small world it is. It's even smaller. He told me he works in Newcastle, but when the conversation got round to curling (as it inevitably does), he knew of the sport. He asked, "Perhaps you know my colleague, he's a keen curler based in the Glasgow office?" Indeed I did, he's a member of my own club, Reform! Here's a pic of Alan Guthrie enjoying his game against Sweden in the Euro Seniors last October at Greenacres! Who needs six degrees of separation?

Pics by Bob.

3 comments:

  1. wonderful photos Bob, Scotland is so beautiful!
    Bulka/Poland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Degrees of seperation: I had a similar incident happen to me heading out for the Viry bonspiel last year on the EuroStar.
    Having failed to get adjacent seats with John Sharp I got chatting to the lady who did occupy the seat next to mine. We got chatting about curling and she (an American but once native of Surrey) commented oh I know a curler but you probably wont know him. It was none other than Gordon Lyon now resident back in Glasgow but once a stalwart of the Fentons Rink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello, we manage Dryfehead, and we are hoping the bothy association might like to take on Dryfehead, before it collapses completely. They would like information, history, photos of it to try and persuade their committee, I wondered if you had any info you could let me pass on to them? As for curling - I am a curling widow tonight!! :)Thanks Lara

    ReplyDelete