Sunday, May 17, 2009

This is my life

I am deeply honoured to be the recipient of the Royal Club's Lifetime Achievement Award. This was presented by President Matt Murdoch at the Gala Awards Dinner on Saturday. My friend Robin Copland laid out the story of my curling life, having researched it in fine fashion with quotes from many who have known me in the nearly fifty years I have been involved with the sport. It was 'This is your life', and Copey even presented me with the book!

I'd also like to thank all those who voted me Curling Journalist of the Year!

Congratulations to the other award winners! The Young Curler of the Year Award (sponsored by Primary General) went jointly to Sarah Macintyre and Eve Muirhead. The Ice Rink Manager of the Year is Iain Baxter. The Ice Maker of the Year Award went to Douglas Baxter and Kyle Gow. The Ice Diamond Award (also sponsored by Primary General) went to the Border Curling Development Group. Coach of the Year is Sam Wilson, this award sponsored by Curling Supplies. Elite Coach of the Year is David Hay. Team of the Year (sponsored by Star Refrigeration) is Team Murdoch.

It was a great night at the Glynhill Hotel, with a tasty meal. John Beattie was superb as the MC, and George McNeill was an excellent guest speaker.

The photo of Matt and me, looking somewhat smug, is by Hugh Stewart. The award itself is an engraved piece of Blue Hone Ailsa, by Kays of Scotland.

1 comment: