Monday, June 08, 2009

The 3pm to Birkhill: Part 1

I was early enough for my train to Birkhill from Bo'ness on Saturday to be able to pay another of my regular visits to the museum, just one of the attractions of the Scottish Railway Preservation Society. How the Scottish Railway Exhibition has developed over the years since it opened in 1995! I note it has recently been awarded full accreditation by the Museums, Libraries and Archives Council.

The exhibition is in a purpose-built 15,000 square foot exhibition hall beside Bo'ness Station. There is a wide variety of goods wagons illustrating the diversity of traffic which the railways once carried eg coal, potatoes, fish, wooden crates and barrels, gunpowder and even an army personnel carrier.

I like the Travelling Post Office exhibit, and it was great to be able to watch the whole of the classic 1936 documentary Night Mail in the exhibition. That's the film that includes the famous WH Auden poem. I've included the snippet of the film which includes Auden's verses below.



The original link is here.

This is 4-4-0 North British Railway, ‘K’ Class No 256 ‘Glen Douglas’. More here.

Now, which one's the brake? North British Railway 0-6-0 No. 673 (65243) 'Maude' is in the queue for an overhaul.

Just time to make sure my case catches the flight on this occasion!

D49 No 246 'Morayshire' (more here) will provide the horsepower this afternoon, here just about to take on water, with Thomas in the background.

We're in good hands!

Running round to get coupled up.

Cough, cough.

I'm sure my parents must have done this to me when I was a wee boy!

Safely arrived at Birkhill, and the train is about to head back to Bo'ness. I have another adventure planned today though. Look out for Part 2.

Morayshire transfers to the other end of the line of coaches to pull them back in reverse to Bo'ness.

What a fine machine! It is actually owned by the National Museums of Scotland, and is on loan to the Scottish Railway Preservation Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment