Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Unwelcome visitors

The containers are doing OK so far this season. The hostas enjoy being in the pots, out of range of the things that like to eat them.

I've had some unwelcome visitors at Skip. Now, nasturtium flowers are quite tasty in salads, but I don't treat them as 'cut and come again'. Someone else has been eating them.

Spotted the culprit yesterday afternoon. What do you mean, you can't see him?

Is that better?

In the absence of a shotgun, shouting loudly, "Please leave my garden immediately" (or words to that effect) produced the result that the little bunny headed straight for my wall at the bottom of the garden and just bounced over it!

As you can see from the pond, this is something of a wildlife garden anyway, so I'll just have to share some of it with the local rabbit population, like it or not.

Another unwelcome visitor is attacking my Solomon's Seal. It's not a spectacular plant, but I like it. It flowered a month or so back, as above. Last year, all the foliage was stripped off after flowering.

The culprits are back.

I spent a bit of time trying to identify just what these little caterpillars are, only to discover that they are not caterpillars at all, but the larvae of the Solomon's Seal sawfly (Phymatocera aterrima), shown here. There's a rather splendid close-up photo by Rob Brown of a larva here.

Who's a pretty boy then? The siskins have been dominating the thistle seed feeder recently. I've been asking him to go after the sawfly larvae, but to no avail.

Pics are all mine, except for the close-up of the Solomon's Seal flower. There are some interesting facts about Solomon's seal here, on why it is so-called, and what it has been used for.

1 comment:

  1. I sympathise with the problem Bob. We have lots of rabbits here in Cumbernauld but since my "lawn" is mainly clover they concentrate on that and leave the plants alone. Now the deer are not so considerate!

    ReplyDelete