Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Manx missiles and other things on my mind

The Isle of Man is famous for a number of things. Tailless cats are just one (all you want to know about rumpys and stumpys is here). The heritage trains and trams are another. The TT. And my sister lives there. She tells me everyone is excited about the performances of local Mark Cavendish in the Tour de France.

I enjoy cycling in all its forms. Professional road races used to be a bit of a mystery, but I've learned a lot from the knowledgeable television commentary over the years from Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen. Coverage is on ITV 4 this year, see here, and there's an excellent 'beginner's guide' on the ITV website here.

I enjoy watching the Tour every year. I'm now beginning to understand what it's all about! Especially the sprints. Mark Cavendish (aka the Manx Missile) has won two sprint stages already. What a phenomenon he is. And although he gets the credit, his success comes because of his team. Now, where have I heard these words before?

The Lanterne Rouge blog gets a visit from me every day. There must be mileage for something similar in curling, celebrating the last placed teams at World events?

What else is making me smile this weather? Helen Sjoholm and the BAB (see here). But you knew I was into Abba.

Torchwood. I'm a big fan!

But am I missing the curling? Certainly I am. I even thought about sending away for some balloons.



Original link is here.

1 comment:

  1. My wife is the one who contacted the guy in the video. We had a circus theme for our mixed spiel and I was charged with making the balloon animals. Never did get the hang of the curling rock but did well with poodles and swans.

    ReplyDelete