Friday, July 17, 2009

Ten days in July

It's Friday, July 17, and I'll be getting up this morning to (select option):

1. Work in the garden
2. Take the camera to photograph some forgotten part of Dumfries and Galloway
3. Ride a heritage steam train
4. Look out my Reform CC fleece and curling shoes.

If you picked option 4, you are right on the mark. Unlikely as it might seem, the inside of a curling rink will be where I could find myself for the next ten days or so. The first round of the Dumfries Summerspiel is at 11.00 this morning. Twenty-four teams play initially in two sections. They hail from Spain, Holland, Ireland, the USA and Millport. They have names like 'The Great Whyte', 'Queen of the South', 'Braehead Virtuals', 'The Owen Family', and 'Camp Instructors'.

'Camp Instructors' stopped me in my tracks for a moment, before I figured out that this team may well have something to do with the fact that the Homecoming Scotland International Junior Camp gets underway on Sunday, based in the Ice Bowl and at Barony College. We could have a team made up of four from Claire Milne, Graham Sloan, Shari Leibbrandt, Mark Neeleman, Judith McFarlane and Laurens van der Windt. I'll no doubt see tomorrow. Or maybe there really will be a team of camp instructors!

Then NEXT weekend is the Summer Skins at Stirling.

I remember when I was so enthusiastic about curling that I could not wait for the summer to be over. The months would just not go by quickly enough so I could get back on the ice. There was no summer curling in the 1960s! I don't know, but this morning I've got a little bit of that enthusiasm back again. I'm looking forward to the next ten days. The camera battery is charged, the memory cards looked out, and Skip Cottage is prepared to host its first summer curling!

No comments:

Post a Comment