Monday, July 06, 2009

Trains and boats and... trains

(Click on above to enlarge)

Saturday was a train day! Out of Lockerbie on the 08.06 on the First Transpennine service headed for Manchester Airport. I got off at Oxenholme, to connect to Windermere.

This was my next mode of transport, awaiting me at Bowness on Windermere. The Swan was built by Vickers of Barrow in Furness in 1938. It was transported in sections by rail and assembled at Lakeside, to where I was headed on Saturday.

Unfortunately Kate Winslet was not on board and I couldn't do my Titanic impression!

This was Swan later in the day as I passed it on my way home.

Windermere is well used for water sports.

Arriving at Lakeside, I was really impressed at the number of tourists waiting patiently for their cruise. I encountered during the day Japanese, Chinese, Australians, Finns, Germans and French, to name just a selection.

This was where I was aiming for - Haverthwaite station. A small heritage line runs between Lakeside and Haverthwaite, see here.

Short it may be, but popular, to judge by Saturday. I stayed over and caught a later return train.

Repulse was doing all the work on Saturday. Built in 1950, number 3698 spent a career working for the National Coal Board. Withdrawn from service in 1975, it was saved from being cut up for scrap, delivered to Haverthwaite and renovated over a number of years. Here it is running round for the return to Lakeside.

All aboard!
We're off. Reminds me when, as a wee boy, I used to stand on a bridge over the Paisley Canal line to get the blast of steam and smoke as the trains passed underneath! Not the healthiest of pursuits, I must admit.

Right, having waved the train off, what was there to do for an hour?

The outside of Haverthwaite station.

The building in the back is the engine shed, open for view.

There's a host of treasures in the shed. I'll not bore you with all I saw, but if you are interested check out the details here.

Just a special mention of this Fairburn Class 4MT 2-6-4 tank. Nos 42073 and 42085 are the only two of this type to survive, and both can be found preserved at Haverthwaite.

Repulse having a drink before returning me to Lakeside.

The tunnel may be the end of the line now, but the Furness Railway used to bring traffic from near Ulverston. Sadly, the short stretch between Haverthwaite and Lakeside is all that remains, but what an achievement that even this has been preserved. The history of the line is here.

My transport back to Bowness. MV Tern was built by Forrest & Son, Wyvenhoe, Essex, in 1891 and was steam powered. It was converted to diesel power in 1956. More about cruises on Windermere can be found here.

I've canoed, but not with a sail.

This looks more fun.

MV Tern had to negotiate a local race on our return to Bowness.

Transpennine ran the shuttle along to Oxenholme to allow me to catch the connection back to Lockerbie. What a splendid day out!

All pics were by me, most with a new camera lens, a retiral gift from the Ladies' Branch of the Royal Caledonian Curling Club. I appreciate this very much, and I hope all consider I am putting it to good use!

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes living on an island isn't quite as idyllic as it may seem - although we do have plenty of boats!

    ReplyDelete