Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Festival Time

The Edinburgh Festival and the Fringe are almost upon us again. I have tickets booked for a variety of performances, and I'll no doubt take pot luck on other things I'll stumble upon. Not that I'll be blogging about most of them - I'd rather leave you to speculate on what else I enjoy, in addition to musical theatre.

Except one thing. You may remember, if you have followed by blog life over the past couple of years, that I revealed (here) a passion for taiko, or Japanese drumming, which I first encountered at the World Junior Curling Championships in Karuizawa in 1997. So I'm excited that Tao, exponents of contemporary taiko/performance art, are coming back to the Fringe. They performed to sellout audiences in 2004 and 2005. I loved them then, and I can't wait to see how the group has developed in the intervening years.

Edinburgh is the premier of a European tour of a new programme.

If you are wondering what to see this year, Skip Cottage recommends you go see Tao. They are on at the Assembly Hall on the Mound, every night at 18.25. It will be an hour and a bit which you are unlikely ever to forget. If you can get tickets! Tickets can be purchased online here.

If you like small oriental women, with strong arms and big drums, you are in for a treat.

And something for the ladies too, even if the percussion is not for you (but it will be, trust me on this). It's not all drums.

Not that I have favourites among the cast, but I'm practising my Japanese! See here.

OK.... Ittekimasu.

There are lots of great pics of the group here and here. That's where the photos above are all from.

No comments:

Post a Comment