Friday, August 28, 2009

Rainy day smiles

Lis Burke's photo above captures the atmosphere of this week in Edinburgh. However, despite the rain, the Signspotting Project exhibit at Princes Mall really made me smile. It's a collection of a hundred funny signs from around the world. It really appealed to my warped sense of humour.

When I lived abroad I always looked out for strange signs, such as the one above. My favourite was 'Translation for Alien' in the window of a local language school! But one should not laugh at the difficulties foreigners face with the English language. However, if you are not averse to doing so, check out www.engrish.com!

Or if you have limited time this weekend have a look at all 159 examples of 'horrible translations'. There's a guaranteed smile, or two, amongst these! Enjoy.

The top photo is © Lis Burke and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

1 comment:

  1. hello, I am looking for pictures of curling and wonder if you can help. please contact me on 0141 420 5397
    thanks,
    jeremy bayston,
    the sunday times scotland picture desk

    ReplyDelete