Friday, August 21, 2009

Wamphray weather

I joked recently (here) about monsoon gardening at Skip. I wasn't joking. According to the meteorological station at Eskdalemuir, yesterday was the wettest August day in more than 100 years.

I left Skip early to go up to Glasgow, and the River Annan was already well over its bank at the Jocksthorn Bridge. The wee car had to float its way over the flooded road, and things weren't too bad after I had passed Beattock on my way north.

Apparently it didn't apparently get much better down here as the day progressed. I hear that the back road between Wamphray and Moffat was blocked by floods, as was the main road between Lockerbie and Lochmaben, and other roads in Dumfries and Galloway were impassable. This is summer.

When I got home in the evening, I set out to get some photos of the flooding, only to get chased inside by another heavy shower. Anyway, the top photo is of the Annan over its banks, seen from the bottom of Skip garden. Fortunately the house itself sits well up from the river.

But the field to the north of the house is on the flood plain.

Is this a field of forage maize... or a rice paddy?

3 comments:

  1. Anyone making a link between this blog and the one about the wind turbines yet ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meanwhile in deepest darkest Essex, my patch looks like the Serengeti. I'm expecting hordes of wildebeest in the next few days

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's amusing is that I was kayaking some rivers that rarely get up to the right level in the Loch Doon area.

    It was a godsend!

    ReplyDelete