Saturday, April 17, 2010

An April Weekend Part 1

The Settle - Carlisle railway line is justifiably famous, see here. I found my way to this station today.

This Northern Rail DMU was headed to Leeds at 12.30.

One of the reasons that the stations look so pretty is because of the work of volunteers. Info on the Friends of the Settle - Carlisle line is here.

Another reason I was there was to get a closer look at Great Western Railway 4-6-0 4979 'Wootton Hall'. It's been here at the Appleby Heritage Centre for a couple of years. And I've seen it when I've been passing on the regular train. You can read all about this locomotive here.

I understand it may be moving on soon for the next stage of its restoration.

And this is the real reason I was in Appleby this afternoon.

Here is LMS Princess Class 4-6-2 no 46201 Princess Elizabeth sliding into Appleby station for a water stop - hence the tanker. The locomotive was pulling The Railway Touring Company's excursion The Hadrian today.

The story of this locomotive is here.

There was time for many of the passengers to stretch their legs.

Ready for the next leg of the excursion.

All aboard!

I love the sights, sounds and smell. Actually, this is not the first time that Princess Elizabeth has featured on this blog, see here.

It was headed for Carlisle and then along the Newcastle line.

Aye, right!

Part 2 to follow.

Photos © Skip Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment