Thursday, April 15, 2010

Tornado at Ravenglass

It's another one of the 'Here it comes' moments. This was yesterday, and I'm at Ravenglass station in Cumbria.

It's Tornado, the new build Peppercorn class A1 Pacific. It was hauling the HF Railtours Cumbrian Coast Tornado excursion, from Crewe to Carlisle, via the coast line, and back by the Settle line.

I've seen this locomotive a number of times now, and I am still amazed by how impressive it is.

It passed through Ravenglass at speed, somewhat behind schedule, but watched by an appreciative audience!

I loved how the little engines of the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway were all on show and whistling as their 'big brother' passed through! This is Northern Rock which was built in the workshops at Ravenglass and saw service for the first time in 1976. The others are described here.

The line's newest diesel locomotive, the Douglas Ferreira, beautifully turned out.

I took the seven mile trip up into the hills, to the delightfully named Dalegarth for Boot station. There is a little turntable at both ends of the line. The lineguide is here.

The River Mite was built by Clarkson's of York in 1966. The line is 15 inch guage.

Passing place, as Douglas Ferreira heads for Dalegarth.

Photos © Skip Cottage

1 comment:

  1. Hello. Looking at your photos especially of the Northern Rock brought back memories of a very happy day the day the Northern Rock was inaugurated.1976!!!! my god cant believe it was sooooo long ago.........we had to wear the dress of the day which for me was a huge hooped skirt. I will try and find a photo or two next time I am at mums and post them.
    Glad not playing in seniors, an absolute nightmare!!

    ReplyDelete