Monday, June 07, 2010

The garden in June

Much of the garden is looking quite tidy and green in the first week of June. It has been very dry though. I will no doubt regret saying that. Hopefully we will not have a 'summer' like last year.

The last couple of weeks have seen a start made on painting the outside of the house, and progress made in revamping the middle beds. These were originally set out seven years ago predominantly with heathers and small conifers. Some consider this old fashioned, but I LIKE heathers and conifers. I lost a big hebe in the very cold winter and that was the impetus to make some changes. New heathers have gone in - and they will spread quickly if past experience is anything to go by.

It certainly all looks better than it did last month.

One of my raised beds is full of strawberry plants for the first time. A full report in due course!

The containers for outside my little conservatory are planted up, now the danger of frosts seems to be past.

There's a story about the poppies! Every year, in an effort to stock the garden cheaply, I've bought some packets of seeds. Two years ago I had a go with some poppies, thinking them biennials, expecting them to flower last year. The seeds germinated well, and I planted them on. No flowers last year, but this year I'm going to have a riot of bright red, to judge by the number of buds.

Understated, these are not! What I've been growing is Papaver orientale var. bracteatum, sometimes called the Blood Poppy or the Persian Poppy, and is in fact a hardy perennial. For one pound or so for the packet of seeds it has to be value for money!

Pics © Skip Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment