Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The garden in July

For those who follow the progress in my garden, I apologise for the lack of updates in the past few weeks. I've been busy with other things. But I have been keeping on top of the maintenance - in other words, weeding - just. It is so easy to let it get away from you, and out of hand. And when the weather is poor, like last year, that's exactly what tends to happen in my plot!

New bark chips on the path have freshened up the bottom area of the garden. The white spires are from a favourite Rogersia which is doing well in this spot which only really gets sun in the mornings.

The pond looks as if it has been there forever, with this large clump of Astrantia in the foreground.

With the dry spell well and truly over, there has been lots of growth, but perhaps not as much colour as I would like. A number of dahlias, overwintered successfully for 3-4 years, did not come through this past very cold winter.

I mentioned before that I would need to do some major work on the middle level. That's now completed, with some new heathers, an azalea and a rhododendron successfully planted.

Here's a look from a different angle. The wlole area will probably be at its best in a couple of years time.

I decided to minimise the money spent on annuals this year, so these containers have been grown on from plugs and small plants. They are just coming to their best with surfinias, geraniums and fuchsias predominating.

I have been growing hostas in tubs for a couple of years now, and have a selection of varieties.

I don't have a big vegetable garden. This year I have lots of potatoes, chard, broccoli, cut and come again salad leaves, and mange tout peas. I failed to net my new strawberry bed, and the birds were well fed!

Pics © Skip Cottage

1 comment:

  1. Love your garden updates. Our garden has done so well with the surprise of a very cool June and beginning of July. The heat is upon us now and things are begging for water. 100 plus degrees today and no hope for a cool down. We are leaving to go camping tomorrow for four days so I am drowning things at the present time in the hope that they will fair well during my absence. We picked a five pound cabbage today and have beem harvesting potatoes for a few weeks. Tomatoes are few and far between but lots of small green ones on the vines. Strawberries yielded enough to supply several families with enough jam for the winter and also to fill the the tummies of lots of grandchildren during early morning raids on the strawberry patch. All the best to you - I am enjoying keeping up with your comings and goings.

    ReplyDelete