Thursday, September 16, 2010

Rails North

I had the opportunity for a few days break, and that took me north. Here, the evening sunshine lights up the mountain top looking over Loch Morlich.

Of course, by the time the morrow came, the weather wasn't quite as good! Riding the funicular on Cairngorm was one of the objectives of the weekend, and I must admit that I enjoyed the experience.... despite the conditions.

Entering the highest 'underground' railway station in the UK!

All about the mountain and the funicular is here.

My main aim was to spend some time on the Strathspey Railway. I had a great morning. 'J94' class 0-6-0 saddle tank, No. 68030, pulled us along to Broomhill and back to Aviemore.

Recently restored Caley 828 was in steam running footplate experience trips, here just coming in to Boat of Garten station.

The Strathspey Railway is a well run heritage line, with friendly staff, and I really enjoyed my day. I hope the plans to extend through to Grantown-on-Spey will be successful.

I had the briefest of visits to the Whisky Line, the Keith and Dufftown Railway. This is Dufftown Station.

No steam here, but this DMU was running last Saturday. More on the line's rolling stock is here.

I was rather taken by this Pullman carriage, a static exhibit at Dufftown! I look forward to another visit sometime in the future.

The holiday was not all rails. There was the opportunity to meet up with some old friends, as well as a chance to take in the new visitor centre at Culloden, which is every bit as good as the publicity. And here I am, washed up on the beach at Dornoch!

Pics © Skip Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment