Thursday, April 14, 2011

April sun

There were three days last week when there were blue skies over Annandale, and it was a delight to be outside. I managed into the garden on two of the three days. I loved it. I do so enjoy pottering around in my outside rooms. Earlier this week I set out again to do just that, and get on with all the jobs that need doing. But it was so cold, a real lazy wind, and quite unpleasant. Yes, it's April.

Here's a few photos I took last Friday. The earliest blossom in the garden is usually on this Ribes sanguineum.

The daffodils were at their best.

I love this one. I'm not very good at labelling things around the garden. I wish now I had done so when I planted these bulbs a couple of years ago. Anyone know what these are?

Much of the enjoyment I get from the daffodils at this time of year are NOT from bulbs I planted myself. These are growing 'wild' on the verge just opposite the cottage. Someone in the past has planned for the future, and I am grateful to whoever it was! Note 'my' standing stone.

I have made a 'spring resolution' this year, and that's not to spend all the time working in the garden. Yes, the battle against the weeds and to make improvements goes on, but it is nice to jump over the fence ....

... and sit by the River Annan, watching the world go by!

It made me smile to see this little clump of wild primrose growing amongst the roots of a large beech near the river.

So, here's the allotment. I'm joking of course! This view of Skip across a newly ploughed field.

Photos © Skip Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment