Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Serious Photography

I enjoy my camera, although I'll never be more than an enthusiastic amateur when it comes to photography. I know what a good photo of curling looks like and I'm always trying to take better and better when I cover the circuit for Skip Cottage Curling.

I appreciate too the more artistic aspects of my hobby, and I'm always willing to learn more. I was delighted recently to receive an invitation to attend the 'degree show' of the students on the commercial photography course at Gray's School of Art at Robert Gordon University.

Having taught students for all of my working life, I do miss them (on occasion) in my retirement. I admire their enthusiasm and creativity!

I had met Rebecca West, a photography student at Gray's, when she attended the European Curling Championships in Aberdeen in 2009. She had obvious talent, and I had wondered how she had got on in her course since our paths had crossed. So I was delighted to receive an invitation to attend a show of work put on by all sixteen students on the course. It was a brilliant evening and I was really impressed by the standard of all the displays.

Above is Becky with the eight black and white photographs she has on show.

I am sure she will have a big future ahead. Success to you, Becky!

The Photography Degree Show is open to view for the next couple of weeks at Gray's School of Art, Garthdee, Aberdeen.

Photos © Skip Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment