Thursday, July 21, 2011

Steam Addiction

On Tuesday night I caught the Monster Moves programme on Channel 5, which told the story of the move of two British-built Stanier 8F class 2-8-0 locomotives across Turkey from Sivas to Izmir, ready for shipping back to the UK. Great programme, and great story! Read about it here.

Watching the TV programme made me realise that I hadn't had my steam fix this month, so yesterday I hopped on to the train from Lockerbie into Carlisle to await the arrival of the Fellsman, Statesman Rail's regular Wednesday excursion from Lancaster to Carlisle over the Settle line, see here.

The steam charter was pulled by a favourite - LMS Royal Scot Class 6115 Scots Guardsman (see here).

Quite magnificent!

The old and new side by side at Carlisle's Citadel Station.

There were not too many people at Carlisle yesterday to see steam in action on the main line. There was however a class of primary school children, from the local Brook Street School. Two things. I thought it was great that their teachers had brought them along to see the train, and I was very impressed at how well they were organised and looked after. I was also very impressed with the attitude of the train staff, who answered lots of questions with patience and enthusiasm!

Everyone of the kids (all 25 or so) got the opportunity to see in the cab - I was most jealous, but then remembered how I used to stand on the platform at the St Enoch station in Glasgow, circa 1959, looking pleadingly at the drivers in the hope of getting a brief visit into the cab!

On the right is Mr Welsh, teacher in charge of the group. Well done to him!

I hope all the children enjoyed the sights, sounds and smells of the locomotive pulling away. I know I did!

Photos © Skip Cottage.

No comments:

Post a Comment