Friday, July 01, 2011

Unexpected visitors

I left the front door open the other day and was surprised to find these two swallows paying a visit. I have certainly noticed plenty of swallows around recently. I suspect they are nesting close by but I haven't figured out where they call home.

These two seemed in no hurry to leave - perhaps because the porch is home to lots of insects!

It was a case of grabbing the camera and seeing if I could capture a memento of their visit! Looking at the tail streamers (on other pics) I surmise that one was an adult, with long streamers, the other a juvenile, or possibly the female, with much shorter ones.

The two of them perched one last time on top of the open door, and then they were off!

Swallows apart, the star of the garden at the moment is this Rogersia, in full bloom.

This old peony is a star too. It is one of the few things in the garden that I've not planted, being a left over from previous occupants of Skip. Despite its beauty it seems to be as tough as old boots! And it has a spectacular perfume.

Hardy Geraniums grow well at Skip. This certainly is one of the showiest.

My efforts with vegetables in containers have been successful, at least these International Kidney potatoes have done OK.

Photos © Skip Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment