Friday, August 05, 2011

Being busy

Every year I find space for a container or two of Livingstone daisies. Rarely do I see them smiling like this, but it does make the effort worthwhile when the sun does shine!

Usually though - through rain and cloudy skies - the flowers don't open.

The garden is petty lush as we reach August. Unfortunately much of the growth is weeds, and since I've been very busy inside, I'll not show any other pics of what it looks like!

I did spend a day in the Yorkshire Dales recently. Here is the proof - on a walk above Hardraw, near Hawes.

I was visiting my friend Brian Alderman, now resident in the Dales and here practising for the Burtersett Show with a neighbour! It may not be curling, but it is an equally frustrating pastime! You have to get the ping pong balls into the cans.

Brian has painted this outdoor curling scene for me. Redecoration of Skip after last December's disaster is coming on, sufficiently to begin getting things on the walls again, and this painting has pride of place. (Brian has a website here, and his contact details are therein, should you fancy commissioning your own unique painting)

I've not had a lot of time for trainspotting.

But here was Black 5 (LMS Class 5MT 4-6-0) no 44932 pulling the Fellsman excursion last Wednesday, from Lancaster over the Carlisle-Settle line.

Some 842 of these locomotives were built, and eighteen have survived in preservation. I was interested to note that 44932 was built at the Horwich Works, near Bolton, in 1946, the only survivor of the 120 built there.

The log train from Kingmoor to Chirk passes the Black 5 standing on Platform 3 at Carlisle.

These steam excursions to Carlisle certainly bring lots of visitors to the town. The Fellsman on Wednesday had a full complement of some 350 passengers.

Photos © Skip Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment