Wednesday, January 04, 2012

What does 2012 have in store at Skip?

Happy New Year! It's the fourth of January already, and we've yet to see the sun at Skip in 2012. It's been a bit blowy in Annandale, but fortunately we missed the worst of yesterday's storm which hit the Central Belt so badly.

This winter continues to be very wet. Indeed I cannot think of one wetter in the ten years I've been here. I bought this Korean Fir as a small plant when I was setting out this part of the garden. It was well worth the trip up to The Tree Shop at Cairndow. It is a handsome tree, and seems to like its position. Lots of cones!

I've only made one resolution this new year, and that's not to procrastinate. I'm very good at putting things off. For example, I just never got round to posting about one enjoyable outing last summer, which saw me in England's only 'temperance pub' in Rawtenstall, see here. Dandelion and Burdock cordial gets my vote every time!

Rawtenstall was the start for a day on the East Lancashire Railway. Great fun. This is Bury station.

Steam too! BR Standard Class 4 2-6-4 Tank was on loan to the East Lancs Railway last year. Here are photos of its rebuild prior to that.

80080 runs round at Heywood.

My day ticket on the railway covered a visit to Bury Transport Museum. I was enjoying the training so much, that I nearly missed this out. I'm glad I didn't.

What an interesting place, with fascinating exhibits, and - as importantly - friendly and helpful staff.

The museum encourages children. I discovered this wardrobe and basket containing lots of period costumes for dressing up. There being no-one about, I had to take a photo. Just who is the big kid behind the camera?

Fingers crossed that I can keep well enough to look after the garden this year, and continue my explorations of our heritage railways!

Photos © Skip Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment