Monday, June 18, 2012

Day Out with Norman

 My summer travels took me to the Skipton area yesterday.

The Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway has been on my list of 'must visit' places for a while. This is Embsay station.

Here is yesterday's transport arriving at Embsay from Bolton Abbey. It's a short heritage line, only four miles or so, but interesting nonetheless.

 And this is Bolton Abbey station.

Future restoration projects?

The engine running round at Bolton Abbey.

Hunslet Austerity 0-6-0ST, see the list of all in preservation here.

 Built in 1943 in Newcastle.

 And known as 'Norman'. Why 'Norman' I wonder?

Beth was the driver yesterday, and thanks to her for allowing me to visit the cab! Highlight of my day.

 All aboard and ready for the run back to Embsay.

 We're off!

The line is very family friendly, and yesterday, it being Fathers' Day, there were lots of children who had brought their dads for a hurl on a steam train... and to experience together the sights, sounds and smells that are part of the steam experience!

A visit to the Yorkshire Dales would not be complete without stopping off for a coffee in the village of Burtersett! My old friend Brian Alderman is turning one room of his home there into a studio and gallery. You can visit him online here, and see his progress. From my visit yesterday, it looks as if the new gallery will be open for business soon.

Photos © Skip Cottage.

No comments:

Post a Comment