The Leadhills and Wanlockhead Light Railway was opened in 1901, to Leadhills, and 1902 through to Wanlockhead. The standard gauge branch line joined the Caledonian Railway's main Carlisle-Glasgow line at Elvanfoot. It was built primarily to serve the lead mines in the area, but there was also a regular passenger service serving the communities of Leadhills and Wanlockhead. The line closed in 1938.
Only a very small part of the line remains in use today - a narrow gauge railway from a depot at Leadhills, see here.
It's a friendly place, with opportunity to see the workings of the signal box!
Glengonnar Halt is currently the end of the line.
Looking back down the line towards Leadhills.
Hugh Stewart on the platform at Glengonnar.
Perhaps one day the line will achieve its ambition of pushing through to Wanlockhead.
It may be small, but it's a treasure. And a fine day out!