Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Time to leave home

I last photographed my swallows in the second week of July (see here) and I thought they were still a little way off fledging. So when I discovered an empty nest on Saturday, I feared the worst.

However, arriving home on Monday I was surprised and delighted to find four youngsters huddled together sheltering from the teaming rain on my satellite dish just outside of the shed where the nest is. This website suggests that swallows fledge between 17 and 24 days. And it could certainly have been that, given how quickly time goes by when one is watching the Tour de France!

For the past couple of mornings I've seen them sitting on the telephone wires close to the house, with the parents still bringing them food.

Success? I do hope so.

Greater spotted woodpeckers are regular visitors to Skip, but are rather shy and are off on the first sign of movement. However, I did manage to catch this juvenile enjoying the peanuts, with one of my many great tits apparently in a bit of a tizzy having been displaced from 'its' feeding station!

Pics © Skip Cottage

1 comment:

  1. Those four little ones plumping together for warmth are so cute! ;)

    ReplyDelete