Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve Pad Thai

I slipped into Carlisle today, Christmas Eve, by train to do a little last minute shopping. It was a wet day but the city was buzzing. I was in the Market Hall wondering about lunch... and then the problem was solved when I stumbled upon the Coconut Tree cafe!

Having lived in Thailand for nearly five years, I do enjoy Thai food. It is more than ten years since I came home, but at Skip I still cook Thai food a lot. Or I try to! To be honest, it's never the same as the 'real' thing. Today I had Pad Thai (a staple 'street food') for my lunch, and splendidly delicious (aroy mak mak) it was in this Carlisle cafe. I suspect I may become a regular customer! Khun Saeng is the proprietor and chef.

I was chatting with one of the other customers and the question was asked, "Do they celebrate Christmas in Thailand?" Well Thais do like a good party. ANY excuse! But I suspected that a better answer to the question might lie somewhere amongst the photo albums I have kept of my five years as an ex-pat. Here it is:

Top photo is Santa, courtesy of a Carlisle garden centre. Above is Santa, courtesy of a Bangkok department store, some ten years ago!

Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment