Monday, June 17, 2013

The Garden in June

Clematis 'Broughton Star' is at its best now.

The containers eventually got planted up and are now coming away.

I tried this year to keep the cost down by buying plugs or 'small plants' and growing them on myself. Next month's blog should show if this strategy has been successful!

The azaleas were at their best a week or so ago.

I'm not one for subtle colours in the garden, as you can see!

I have these poppies everywhere. And to think they started life as a packet of seeds some years back!

This little white Vinca is a favourite, although it is a bit of a thug, as here it is already scrambling through a Cotoneaster.

These Aquilegia were self seeded. As was the buttercup! Weeds have a way of hiding from me.

My Bishop's Children, which I grow from seed every year, are somewhat behind this time, but should still produce a display.

My collection of Hostas is expanding!

Here's more.

I like the flowers of the Dicentra spectabilis, and planted one in the garden a couple of years ago. It's now just becoming established.

As is this white version.

The colour of this primula is intriguing.

Rhododendron 'Fantastica' always gives a good show.

I planted this Rhododendron 'Vulcan' in memory of a good friend. It's just getting established, and seems to like its position. I visited the garden centre at Glendoick (here) on Saturday, and now have two more Rhoddies to go into the ground today.

Missing from the garden this year are the swallows which gave me so much enjoyment last year, see here, and here. Every time I look at last year's empty nest, above, I wonder how my swallow family fared in their migration. I've not seen many swallows around the village at all this year, presumably the cold, late spring is to blame.

The forecast this week is for some good weather, so I plan to be spending as much time outside as possible!

Photos © Skip Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment