Thursday, December 05, 2013

A Giant Falls

'Nature in all its glory' was the thought in my head when I photographed this lovely sunset the other night. But of course there's another side to nature - the wild weather. We were well warned that last night there would be a storm. Strong winds were forecast. And sure enough, when I woke up, the wind was howling.

Then I heard a bump! It was still dark, but I got up and checked the house. Everything seemed fine.

It got light, and I assumed the 'bump' I had heard was this bird table going over. 

It was only when I ventured outside that I realised that the 'bump' I had heard was one of the old beech trees near Skip coming down, completely blocking the road. Fortunately no-one had been driving past at the time.

Once the storm had passed over, there was the opportunity to record the occasion!

This old fellow was planted in the nineteenth century, and had stood for some 150 (or more) years.

This is what it looked like from the other side.

The tree had been uprooted, leaving a huge hole. You can see how some quite major roots have been sheared through. It must have been quite a gust of wind, to have blown this tree over.

The trunk had broken in two as it hit the road. I'm rather fond of all the old beeches around Skip, so it was sad to see this today. Although, I was just a little relieved that it was not one of the trees closer to the cottage. Now, I'm just waiting for the 'ax men' to come by.

Before today, the leaves had been trying to stay attached to the branches. No longer. Such was the strength of the wind last night that many had found a new (temporary) home attached to the fence wires. I thought this was an unusual sight, and worth recording!

Photos © Skip Cottage

1 comment:

  1. Gosh you were lucky there Bob!
    Sad to see these old trees go though. Don't know if you've read Carlyle's Parish History Of Wamphray (you probably have) but the descriptions of Wamphray's woodiness prior to WWI is something else. I believe that to be the leftovers from Annandale's roots as a hunting forest dating back to Norman times.
    There's 'woody' names all over . . Orchard and Woodend being two near you!
    All the best
    Phil

    ReplyDelete