Friday, June 06, 2014

Edinburgh Thrills

I had two reasons to go up to Edinburgh yesterday. The first was to see Charles Lees's painting of the Grand Match at Linlithgow on display at the Scottish National Portrait Gallery.

The painting, which has been beautifully restored, is the centrepiece of the 'Playing for Scotland: The Making of Modern Sport' exhibit, and is on indefinite loan to the National Galleries. It gave me immeasurable pleasure to see the painting on the wall. It was back in 2006 that I revealed in the Scottish Curler that the painting was likely to go for auction, without the members of the Royal Caledonian Curling Club being properly consulted. To cut a long story short, the painting was saved, money was raised for its restoration, and now it is available for all to see.

What was the Linlithgow Grand Match? Read about it here.

Talking of long running sagas, I was pleased to see Edinburgh's trams finally in operation. If you read this blog regularly, you will know that I'm somewhat of a train and tram fan. So I made my way to York Place, and took my first hurl along the whole route to the airport.

Inside, the trams are comfortable, and I quite enjoyed my first experience. They fair nip along once they get onto their dedicated tracks out of the city centre.

Lots of room for luggage.

Unfortunately, the tram I was on got stuck at the Gyle. 'Temperamental doors' was given by the driver as the reason he could not get going again. Here he is with the customer service person trying to find the problem.

After some minutes, the problem was rectified. However, the incident took the gloss off what I had hoped would be an enjoyable experience.

We eventually reached the end of the line at Edinburgh Airport.

Photos © Skip Cottage, with thanks to a member of staff at the NPG who took the top photo for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment