Thursday, July 17, 2014

Chester

The last day of my 'rail roving' holiday took me to Chester, with the leg from Warrington Bank Quay on this Arriva Trains Wales Class 175 Coradia. I think this is the first time I've experienced a ride on this franchise, and on this type of DMU. Very comfortable.

Chester was looking splendid for my visit, the first time I've been in the city. It has an attractive centre, although Mickey did seem somewhat incongruous above the Disney shop in this building! Made me smile, though.

To get a feel for the city I took a tour on this London General Omnibus Company B-Type motorbus, dating - with some modifications - from around 1924. I loved it! The website is here.

Our guide, dressed for the part, and the banter was entertaining!

The Eastgate Clock, constructed to celebrate Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee. The clock is, apparently, the second most photographed timepiece in the United Kingdom after Big Ben, so I'm doing my bit to keep up this record!

A glimpse of the Cathedral.

Chester Library was once the Westminster Coach and Motor Car Works.

The impressive town hall.

The local buskers were of a higher standard than I'm used to. These two were singing a cappella, and were first class!

The Shropshire Union canal runs through the centre of the city!

All too soon I had to find the station again. Just to be different I went across country to Manchester Piccadilly, and up to Lockerbie direct from there. I suspect I will be back in Chester again. They do say first impressions are important, and I certainly was impressed on this short visit. And of course I've still to see the zoo!

Photos © Skip Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment