Thursday, September 11, 2014

On the water

My rail excursion on the Bure Valley Railway, see here, had the option of a short cruise on the Broads from Wroxham. Not really my thing, I thought, but it turned out to be a most enjoyable ninety minutes or so, thanks to an informative commentary on board the 'Queen of the Broads', above.

There was an opportunity to see how the other half live - I did like these thatched cottages.

Some older boats too on were display. Reminded me of the adventures of the children in Arthur Ransome's 'Swallows and Amazons' books, two of which were set on the Norfolk Broads. One of these, 'Coot Club', is/was my second favourite Ransome book!*

And, since I mentioned the book, here are some coots we passed!

Not all the local wildlife took the invasion of their territory so calmly!

Entering Wroxham Broad. 

The Norfolk Broads Sailing Club is on Wroxham Broad, see here.

One shoreline of Salhouse Broad. Spot the wildlife!

On the River Bure.

Lots of families out enjoying the water. Many in fancy hired boats, but this one, Tahiti, caught my eye.

It was all very leisurely! As a holiday should be these days.

* What is/was my favourite ? 'We didn't mean to go to sea'!

Photos © Skip Cottage.

No comments:

Post a Comment