Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Steam in Norfolk

This was the sight that greeted me when I arrived at Holt Station for the first day of the North Norfolk Railway's steam gala weekend. It was the first day of my short holiday in Norfolk, and it had started off really well. I rode the 'Poppy Line' to Sheringham behind 'Black Prince'.

9F 2-10-0, No 92203 Black Prince, is on extended loan to the North Norfolk Railway, and played a big part in the steam gala.

It wasn't so long ago!

Here's 4MT 2-6-0, No 76084, running round at Sheringham.

Sheringham station before the crowds arrived!

Black 5 No 44767 ready to run back to Holt.

And here's the locomotive steaming away from Weybourne station

A comfortable set of carmine and cream coaches.

I spotted this in the gardens beside the station at Weybourne. I came over all nostalgic, remembering 'Watch with Mother' in the 1950s. Bill and Ben, and Weed, were great favourites, see here

What a beauty! A recent addition to the NNR's stable, this is one of the only two Thomson B1 locomotives in preservation. Read its history here.

A 'double-headed' arrival at Weybourne.

Mayflower at Holt.

Running round at Holt.

The driver of visiting locomotive, No 7820 Dinmore Manor, has time for a snack at Sheringham! Read about this locomotive at this website.

I was really impressed with the friendliness of all the staff and volunteers at the NNR. They certainly worked hard over the three days of the gala.

More to come from my Norfolk holiday!

Photos © Skip Cottage

1 comment:

  1. Now I am going around singing "Bill and Ben, Bill and Ben, flowerpot men".

    ReplyDelete