Saturday, September 06, 2014

The Bure Valley Railway

My day trip on the Bure Valley Railway began at Aylsham. It's a fifteen inch narrow gauge line between the market town of Aylsham and Wroxham, an eighteen mile round trip.

I arrived in time for the first train of the day, and was entertained to the sight of No 9, 'Mark Timothy', see here, being turned round.

There was time too for a chat with the two volunteer drivers on my trip to Wroxham. I was much taken by the friendliness of all the staff and volunteers on the BVR. Full marks!

Here is No 8, 'John of Gaunt', see here, getting a polish before its day's work on the line.

The East Norfolk Railway opened its branch line between Aylsham and Wroxham in 1880. Passenger traffic stopped in 1952, and the line closed completely in 1982. The narrow guage railway was laid along the old track bed, and opened in 1990.

It passes through pleasant countryside - it took me a little while to figure out that these were fields of sugar beet!

The line is single track with passing loops at Brampton, Hautbois and Coltishall.

Arrival at Wroxham.

I spent a few hours in Wroxham, and had a trip on the water (of which more later), and it was again No 9 to be the engine for my return to Aylsham later in the day.

What a lovely wee locomotive! The more narrow guage railways I visit, the more of a fan I become. I'm about to board for the good forty-five minute nine mile shoogle back to Aylsham.

Here's No 8, 'John of Gaunt', heading for Wroxham.

This was a great day out!

Photos © Skip Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment