Monday, April 27, 2015

April at Skip

I have a soft spot for Forsythia. I think it was the first garden shrub whose name I learned. This one was here at Skip before I was, and every spring I look forward to its flowers.

I planted a few new clumps of daffs last autumn. This is Narcissus 'Minnow'. It's a tiny thing, but looks great.

This is Narcissus 'Delibes' which Taylors had as 'new for 2014'. I rather like it.

I'm not a big fan of double flowers, but the one on the left has a certain something. It came in a mixed selection so I'm not sure of its name.

Keeping on top of the weeds is the usual April priority. I have been fighting with the awful ground elder in this bed at the bottom of the garden for a couple of years. This spring I gave up, dug it over completely, twice, and picked out every trace of the weed I could find. I replanted the plants saved from the bed elsewhere in the garden, and decided to give this area a new start.

It really is a nasty weed, see here. I smiled when I found that the Gardeners' World website (here) called it 'virulent'. Apparently though the leaves are edible and were once used as a treatment for gout.

Friends had recommended a good nursery, in the Lesmahagow area, so I searched out the Beeches Cottage Nursery, and went shopping!

What a lovely place, and a great selection of plants.

Everything is well laid out and labelled.

Just a great selection.

The nursery is family run. Margaret Harrison was on hand to advise on my purchases. And the flower pot man was a trigger for lots of 'Watch with Mother' nostalgia. Is this Bill, or is it Ben, I wonder.

(You had to have been there, see here. But don't get confused with the other Flower Pot Men, on their way to San Francisco, here.)

So, home with a variety of perennials I don't have already in the garden!

All planted. I'll just need to keep my eyes open in case I've missed any of the ground elder roots, and it will be interesting to see how these new perennials come away.

Now, with last week's fine weather all but a memory, we're back to cold winds and wintry showers. But it is only April!

Still, the weeks roll by. These 'garden escapees' on the roadside near Skip, which I photographed last week, are already past their best ....

 ... but I'm sure they will be back again next spring.

Photos © Skip Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment