Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Fife Folk Museum

If you are a curling history enthusiast, this would be the place to live! Sadly the pond to which this road leads is well overgrown, but would have seen many contests in years past. The Ceres Curling Club, in the village of that name, near Cupar in Fife, was founded in 1857, and the pond probably dates from around this time. Its memory lives on in this street name. If you are interested in old curling ponds, then this site is for you!

My reason for being in Ceres yesterday was to visit the Fife Folk Museum. What a wonderful place! So much to see.

I particularly liked the use of mannikins in various places throughout the museum, such as here in the Cottar's kitchen.

... and here in the gaol!

and here.

 Now, this was a fascinating exhibit.

There's a little curling exhibit too, more about which in another place.

Add to this a friendly welcome, knowledgeable volunteers, and a first class tea room, the Fife Folk Museum gets my fullest recommendation. Read about its history here.

Another thing that made my day was seeing this old classic in the car park. It's not a museum exhibit as such, but belongs to a local who lives nearby. I enjoy going to classic car shows, and I always look out to see if anyone has a Triumph Mayflower. Rarely these days do I find one. The car dates from 1949-53. So what a thrill to have this encounter yesterday! You see, one like this was my first car, as a student in 1966. My Mayflower was an old banger then, already fourteen years old, but it holds so many memories. Bought for £30 and sold a year later for £20, it taught me a lot about looking after an old car. It only let me down once. Charities day, in the evening on my way to a party. Suddenly I had no clutch. I looked under the car, and the clutch rod had sheared. Next day I took the two bits into MacHarg, Rennie and Lindsay's parts department, in Partick. I showed them to the guy on the desk. He disappeared into the back, and after what seemed like ages appeared with a brand new rod, saying something like, "I don't know that anyone has needed this part before!" I was mobile again within minutes of getting back to where I had to abandon the car the night before!

I loved it then. I love it now. One's first love is always so special!

James May once called this the 'world's ugliest car', see here. He's quite wrong of course, imo!

Details of the car can be found here, and I was delighted to see there is an owners' club, here. Hopefully this Mayflower will have years of life ahead.

1966 was a good year in my life. Nothing like a good wallow in nostalgia, forty-nine years later!

Photos © Skip Cottage.

1 comment:

  1. Brings to mind cruising the lanes of D&G in my brother's twin-carb Morris Minor . . top speed about 50 mph, but it didn't half sound good.
    And if you are North of the Tay, I can recommend the Angus Folk Museum in Glamis - some excellent exhibits.
    take care
    Phil

    ReplyDelete