Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Autumn

 
What a lovely spell of weather we've had for the past month or so! This rainbow seems to be highlighting that the trees are beginning to turn as Wamphray moves into autumn.

I like autumn colours, although this is not at Skip.

I was up early this one morning to see a colourful dawn.

And on one particularly nice day, the garden flowers were still attracting butterflies.

The beech trees surrounding Skip are just beginning to turn. And one tub of leaves has already been put on the pile. Waste not, want not.

Out and about though, some trees seem to be further on than others.

This is the road into Wamphray, from the B7076, with the Red House at the top of the hill.

Red Campion (Silene dioica) still flowering away by the roadside and making me smile.

Himalayan Balsam may look colourful, but it really is a thug. Impatiens glandulifera is a relative of Busy Lizzie, as I've just discovered, see here. It is only an annual, but spreads rapidly. Each plant produces lots of seeds which are dispersed widely. I found this out by accident one day as I was 'attacked' by the plant. The ripe seedpods can shoot their seeds many yards away. I disturbed a clump by the riverside and was peppered by seeds being fired off. One of life's experiences!

The local bus service on the Jocksthorn bridge.

Wamphray hasn't seen any significant rain for a while, and the Annan is well down.

I've never been in this position before! See here what it can be like, from just one year ago.

I wonder what the next four months have in store, weather wise? Firstly though, I plan some trainspotting adventures.

Photos © Skip Cottage

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bob - sad to hear the Balsam has invaded Annandale, but the River Annan Trust do seem to be trying to do something about it:

    http://www.riverannan.org/#!invasive-plants/cp2u

    As for the water levels - that is incredibly low - I only remember it like that at Jocksthorn back in 1976.

    And the Red House! I think maybe Dora was before your time, but I remember many happy nights there with my parents and their friends in the lounge at the back, when she was landlady - all a very long time ago now!

    Thanks for showing the season's changing in my favourite place.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete