Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Tornado at Severn Valley

The heritage railway at Kidderminster, the Severn Valley Railway, had been on my 'wish list' for a while. I picked the day of my visit to coincide with the appearance there of two rather special locomotives.

No 46100, Royal Scot, will soon be seen on the main line, see here. It was on the Severn Valley Line as part of its ongoing test programme. Here it is, running round at Bridgnorth. All about the Royal Scot class of locomotives here.

Royal Scot heads back to Kidderminster.

'Catch Me Who Can' is a replica of a locomotive built at Bridgnorth in 1808, see here.

There was time for me to look around Bridgnorth town, and have some lunch, before returning to the station, to await the star attraction of the day, for me anyway, Tornado.

Here it comes! All about Tornado here.

Tornado runs around at Bridgnorth.

The weather changed for the better during the run back to Kidderminster. I can say now that I've ridden behind Tornado, although at a sedate pace along the 16 miles. The railway has a great collection of carriages (more than 60, see here). This is an ex-LMS Open 3rd, dating from 1945.

Lots to watch at Kidderminster. No. D3201 is an 0-6-0 English Electric, ex-British Railways, built in Derby in 1954.

Built in 1918 at Swindon, GWR 2-8-0 No 2857, see here, was on 'footplate experience' duties on the day of my visit.

Small, but perfectly formed!

The sun came out, and a steam fix was taken!

Wonderful!

You just have to imagine the sound, and the smells!

As Tornado headed off into the evening sunset, it was time for me to head back to my hotel, mission accomplished. I look forward to a return visit to the railway, perhaps when it is a little quieter, to see other locomotives in action, and I can explore the intermediary stations, the museum, and The Engine House.

Photos © Skip Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment