Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Into Winter

November at Skip was grey, wet and miserable, with only a few mornings to lift the spirits, like that above! 

 The leaves came off the trees, and were duly gathered up.

There is something quite magnificent about the beech trees in winter!

In the garden, these wallflowers seem somewhat confused as to the season!

A significant event last month was that my new car had to have some bodywork repairs, after I managed to scrape it when it was barely a couple of weeks old. Border Cars Dumfries did a great job of the repair, and for the few days it was away I got to run around in this loan car. I think this could have been the first time in my life that I've ever driven a black car!

Story of my life!

Just a sprinkle of snow on the hills behind Wamphray.

Lots of standing water in the fields.

Sheep overwintering in the lower fields.

My favourite tree, in its winter garb!

A threatening sky.

One hears the rumble in the distance, and then the Pendolino whizzes past, next stop Carlisle.

I got a little carried away with the trees yesterday!

More standing water in a flooded field.

Flooded fields are not all bad. If they freeze, they can provide a safe venue for outside curling. This photo is of Carmunnock and Rutherglen curlers and friends on a flooded field near Gateside, Beith. I've been asking friends if they can remember exactly when the photo was taken. Best we can do so far is late 1970s or early 1980s!

I wonder if this winter will provide opportunities for curling outside?

Photos © Skip Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment