Monday, April 25, 2016

April

It's been a varied month, still cold, but the occasional day has been quite lovely. I liked this sky, seen over Dollar when visiting friends.

Daffodil month!

I've forgotten the name of these, with their cream coloured trumpets.

It was time to introduce the new camera to some steam!

Here is an old favourite of mine see here, and here. No 46233 'Duchess of Sutherland' is a Princess Coronation Class 4-6-2 'Pacific' built in 1938 by Crewe Works for the London Midland and Scottish Railway. Photographed on a rainy day early in April at Carlisle's Citadel Station. It had hauled the steam charter from Carnforth, and was headed south via Shap to Crewe.

It's all happening at the station.

It will be interesting to watch the progress of the refurbishment over the next couple of years.

Royal Scot arrives at Carlisle. The history of this locomotive can be found here. I've a soft spot for 46100, having ridden behind it, see here, before its recent return to the main line.

I found this great book in a local second hand bookshop. It was written in 1995 and records the author's life as a trainspotter since the 1960s. I probably began just a little before Nicholas did, but his memories of the last days of steam match my own. But I had not, until reading this book, considered myself as a 'Twentieth Century Hero'! 

This was a strange rainbow over Workington late Saturday evening, April 9. The colours are just as seen. I couldn't get back far enough to get the whole rainbow into the picture, but it formed a complete semicircle! Wonderful.

Two things had taken me to Workington that day. The first was to see Royal Scot on the Cumbrian Coast line, and here is the locomotive gliding towards Workington station right on time.

I had never been to Derwent Park before so wanted to see the Workington Comets in action. Enjoyed my visit and saw some good speedway action, the local side defeating Redcar Bears on the night.

But as far as speedway is concerned, my heart is at Ashfield, home of the Glasgow Tigers! I'm in danger of becoming a regular fan again. I was there yesterday to see the first of their Premier League matches, against Redcar.

And as I'm learning more about my new camera, it is fun to see what it can do, even from the terracing. Here is action from Heat 7, with Aaron Summers, the Tigers' captain, leading teammate Coty Garcia out of bend 2, on their way to a 5-1 and a 22-20 lead.

A couple of heats later, the young Argentinian rider (see his profile here) hit the dirt hard, giving rather more than 100% on an attempted overtake, but fortunately came away apparently unscathed. With his bike being driven back to the pits, he had to endure the walk back on foot, but his captain was on hand ... with words of comfort, or encouragement, or advice!

The Tigers finished 51-39 in front. The match report is here

Photos © Skip Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment