Friday, April 29, 2016

Edinburgh Culture

Gardening, trainspotting, speedway and walks are all very well, but sometimes my life needs an injection of culture. Wednesday saw me in Edinburgh, by train of course, and as I left Waverley Station I noticed that the Scott Monument was cordoned off.

Now that is a different sort of job, when you get up in the morning and spend the day dangling off a rope with a bucket.

The monument is currently closed for the installation of a state-of-the-art lighting system to show off its intricate architectural features, and make it 'glow in the dark'!

This was where I was headed - the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, Modern 2.

This was the exhibition I had come to see. Excellent it was, and well worth the entry price. Read about it here, and see highlights here.

The special exhibition takes up all of the second floor of Modern 2, but there's much of interest on the ground floor, such as this 'representation' of Sir Eduardo Paolozzi's studio. You could look at this for hours!

The Surrealism and the Marvellous gallery has Paul Delvaux's La Rue du tramway (see detail here), and makes me smile every time I see it, whatever the artist's intention! Did you know that trams are a classic sexual metaphor, according to the psychologist Sigmund Freud. I must remember that when next I visit the Transport Museum.

I wonder what Freud would have made of this video, of the No 3 tram in Glasgow (a big part of my childhood) filmed by a minister, the Rev John Walsh, in 1960!

The gallery also has this wonderful library! Read about it here.

Lots to see in the grounds. This is The Virgin Of Alsace by Emile-Antoine Bourdelle.

Spring has come to the Water of Dean somewhat before it has reached Wamphray!
 
Menawhile, back with Freud, I had to have a hurl on Edinburgh's trams while I was in town. Make what you like of the significance of this one exiting the tunnel under the road near the Gyle.

My transport back to Waverley Station and the train south to Lockerbie.

Photos © Skip Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment