Friday, October 14, 2016

Buses everywhere

I have to confess that I don't find old buses quite as exciting as trams, trolleybuses and steam locomotives. Nevertheless, the opportunity to visit the Bridgeton Bus Garage, the home of the Glasgow Vintage Vehicle Trust, on their Open Weekend recently, was not to be missed.

Colourful scenes inside ...

... especially the iconic Glasgow Corporation colours of years past.

My earliest bus memories are of travelling on a single decker, along Mosspark Drive, in the early 1950s. The terminus was at the shops at the Cardonald end of Mosspark Drive, just beside where I lived, and the bus ran into the city centre, stopping beside Inglis' shop, at the junction of Hope Street and Argyle Street, near to the Hielanman's Umbrella. For the life of me, I cannot remember the route number, although I want to say it was 45, but that service number had been applied to a different route by 1963, see here. The service along Mosspark Drive must have been stopped later in the 1950s.

I thought when I saw this in the distance that it was the single decker that I remember from my childhood. But all is not what it seems, from this front view. The vehicle is a cut down double decker, latterly used as a recovery vehicle. Read its history here.

This 45 route I do remember well enough. The history of SGD 500 is here.

At the Open Weekend there were lots of stalls to browse, whatever one's interest.

I remember the 'red buses' (as I used to call them) which ran from the characterful Waterloo Street bus station along Paisley Road West to Paisley.

This one though provided sevice with Central SMT, and is a Leyland Titan PD2/10 dating from 1954, details here.

I remember her well!

I have to include a photo of an Alexander bus. It's a Leyland Lion LT5B dating from 1934, history here. Notice the starting handle!

The collection includes an iconic London bus - this AEC Routemaster 5RM from 1965, see here.

Although the collection is heavily focussed on buses, there are other vehicles to be admired. I rather liked this Dennis F8 fire engine from 1958, see here.

There was opportunity to ride on some of the vehicles around the city!

The GVVT was established in 2002. Its website is here.

Pics © Skip Cottage. Thanks go to Robin Shand who let me know about the GVVT Open Weekend. The dates went into my diary and the result was an interesting 'away day', with lots of nostalgia!

3 comments:

  1. Ah! The 45 to Carnwadric. I remember it well. Standing at the bus stop at the top of Minard Road after school, waiting for the 38 to Rouken Glen, these buses were identical. But when I was younger I could read the destination plates from nearly half a mile away as it turned the corner at Allison Street. Nowadays I can just tell you it's a bus coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must have been an interesting day! My memory is that the 59 bus replaced the number 3 tram, the 3 bus going a different route. That said, the bus route history that you have a link to does not confirm that, so I am maybe wrong. I have no memory though of the bus that you talk about - before my time, I am afraid!
    It is strange that the old tram route along Mosspark Boulevard has remained in place. I often wonder why they didn't move the park boundary fence to take advantage of the track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry - meant to congratulate you on the post and photos as well!

    ReplyDelete