Tuesday, January 03, 2017

East of Durisdeer

The village of Durisdeer, just off the A702 not far from Thornhill, was my starting point for a short walk on January 2, 2017.

 
Nothing too strenuous - it's been a while since I ventured far from Skip, and this was straightforward walking.

 
Did I say it was a cold, frosty morning?

 
It didn't take me long to reach my destination - Kettleton Byre bothy.

Kettleton Byre is maintained by the Mountain Bothies Association. I found it in good clean condition, and obviously well looked after.

It's a small bothy, with just the one room. Home from home!

 
It's always fun to look through the bothy book, and see who's been there.

 
The bench outside the bothy door was perfect for lunch. It's a wild spot though, and picnics outside in January would be the exception rather than the rule!

Did I say that the bothy had all mod cons!

It is 'big sky country' hereabouts!

Old wall, new fence.

This is the view to the west from near the bothy! What a perfect day for a walk.

We had this long conversation on the walk out, as I did my Dr Doolittle thing! And then of course I had an ear worm for the rest of the day. "If we could talk to the animals ... " (Sammy Davis version here.)

Photos © Skip Cottage

1 comment:

  1. Yet again another bothy - you do get about.
    This is where those 3 walkers were lost last year isn't it?
    Phil

    ReplyDelete