Tuesday, March 07, 2017

The castle I see from the train

This is the River Clyde at Crawford. In the distance are some of the many turbines of the Clyde wind farm, and you can see a Virgin train running alongside the river on the West Coast Main Line. I use the line often, and, from the window, I've noticed some ruins as we pass Crawford. "One day I must investigate these further," I've said to myself on more than one occasion.

 
That 'one day' turned out to be last Sunday. I was driving back from Edinburgh in the afternoon, it wasn't raining, and I did have my camera with me. The ruins can be accessed from the little road that runs up to Camps Reservoir from Crawford.

There's not much left of Castle Crawford. You can read its history here and here. The castle ruins stand on a large artificial mound, probably the remains of a twelfth century motte. The visible ruins are of a structure built in the early 1600s, but abandoned at the end of the eighteenth century. Apparently much of the stone was used to build the nearby Crawford Castle farmhouse, which explains why so little remains.

This doorway suggests past grandeur.

Looking south, one can appreciate the importance of the site, defending the route north from England.

Ruins do hold a fascination! Not to be explored closely on a stormy day, I advise.

On walking up the road towards the castle I noticed this little gate. I could so easily have walked past, but something made me stop and look closer.

A fairy gate, complete with fairies. Made my day!

Photos © Skip Cottage

2 comments:

  1. You've done it again Bob - I had no idea Castle Crawford existed!
    I've either missed it or forgotten it . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that seeing the fairies made your day. That was the intention to Lift peoples spirits and place smiles upon their faces.

    ReplyDelete