Wednesday, May 24, 2017

The Girl from Milngavie

I made my way to Motherwell yesterday, to enjoy at first hand Round 7 of the Tour Series.

Colourful Motherwell.

 
The women's race had a 5.30 pm start. The sponsors of Team WNT make quality tools for metal cutting, see here. My father, Peter Cowan, was a machine tools representative, so this team had my support on the night. All the teams were presented before the start.

Here was another reason to support Team WNT! I first saw Katie Archibald in Edinburgh in 2014, see here, and have followed the girl from Milngavie's successes since then. Here she is warming up in the Team WNT pits before the race.

This young lady had designed the flag used to start the race!

I cannot find words to say how I felt yesterday morning as I learned about the events that had occurred in Manchester the night before. Life has to go on of course, but it was appropriate that there was a minute's silence observed before the race started. Moving.

 
We're off!

Eileen Roe, another brilliant Scottish rider, and also a member of Team WNT, on the right.

 
I walked round the course, and who should I pass but Dame Sarah Storey, observing the progress of Team Storey, but especially cheering on her sprinter EJay Harris.

A four-rider breakaway gets established, Eileen Roe in second place in this pic.

The main chasing group was more than a minute behind with just a few laps to go. But then Katie, and Rebecca Durrell of Team Drops, powered on to bridge to the leaders.

Eileen Roe pulled away on the last lap and took the victory and had time to celebrate. I (almost) got the shot in focus!

Katie was just pipped on the line by Rebecca for second place.

Team WNT were top team on the night. Nothing to do with my support, of course. But well done girls!

And Katie received the prize for the fastest lap of the evening. All the Matrix Fitness Tour Series women's results are here.

Did I mention there was a men's race too?

Exciting to watch too. The results are all here.

Photos © Skip Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment